help needed getting WMS server working with mapserver

Brent Wood pcreso at PCRESO.COM
Sat Jul 15 23:58:10 EDT 2006

Hi....

I've been wrestling with this for a while now, I've no idea why it doesn't
work...

I'm trying to get cgi mapserver working as a WMS server which is accessible via
cgi mapserver or mapscript & a mapfile.

So far I have a WMS enabled cgi mapserver which is able to generate a map/image
OK with wget, curl & other WMS clients such as QGIS. It also works in
http://wms.iter.dk/default.aspx

I am totally unable to get it to work as a layer in a mapserver mapfile, which
should, as I understand it, be reasonably straightforward.

If anyone can let me know why it doesn't work, or how to make it work I'd be
very grateful.....

I'm running a locally compiled mapserver 64bit SUSE 9.3 (it works fine with
everything else I've tried, just not with a mapserver client)

Hopefully there is enough info below to identify the problem, either in the
mapfile defining the WMS layer or in my mapfile which is trying to access it.

I guess the problem is with the atlas_client.map mapfile, but have included
other info as well...

Thanks,

   Brent Wood

The error message I get when accessing the WMS layer is:
msDrawMap(): WMS connection error. Failed to draw WMS layer named 'wms_w'. This
most likely happened because the remote WMS server returned an invalid image,
and XML exception or another unexpected result in response to the GetMap
request. Also check and make sure that the layer's connection URL is valid.

I'm confused because it seem to work with other clients OK.

mapserver version etc info:
baw at SUSE93:/data> /srv/www/cgi-bin/mapserv -v
MapServer version 4.6.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

the mapfile providing the WMS server is at:
http://203.97.249.147/map_nz/atlas.map

my mapfile (on the same box) accessing this as a WMS layer is (uses a local IP
address for the WMS server):
http://203.97.249.147/map_nz/atlas_client.map

A one line curl command to retrieve the jpg map via WMS is:
curl
"http://203.97.249.147/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/srv/www/htdocs/map_nz/atlas.map&request=GetMap&service=WMS&layers=w_topo&version=1.1.1&srs=EPSG:4326&bbox=0,-90,360,90&format=image/jpeg&width=400&height=400&style="
> test.jpg

or via a browser, just enter this URL:
http://203.97.249.147/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/srv/www/htdocs/map_nz/atlas.map&request=GetMap&service=WMS&layers=w_topo&version=1.1.1&srs=EPSG:4326&bbox=0,-90,360,90&format=image/jpeg&width=400&height=400&style=

This URL returns the WMS capabilities document fine, as far as I can tell:
http://203.97.249.147/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/srv/www/htdocs/map_nz/atlas.map&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities