calculate polygon area

Julien Bessiere julien.63 at FREE.FR
Wed Jul 19 10:43:32 EDT 2006

Hi Ed, Mateusz and Steeve,
First of all, thanks for your answers.
Then, it's my turn to answer. So :

function."
* my mapserver installation does not support GEOS.

regional projection) then the math should be quite simple."
* You mean that if I should use 'PROJECTION "init=epsg:2029" END' instead of
'PROJECTION  "init=epsg:4326" END' as output format in my map file and use the
coordinate to calculate the area ?

working with, and what kind of accuracy you need."
- I'm working for the Smithsonian tropical Research Institut in Panama. The aim
is to estimate the aera and I don't think we need a very high accuracy level.
But the range could be quite large. I
guess the polygon area could stretch from about 20 km² up to 300 000 km². Is it
possible to evaluate the miscalculation range?

support for GEOS operators in MapScript including a getArea() method"
* Thanks for all this work done . It's good to know and I gonna think about it.

thanks again for your advices

Julien