problems drawing highway symbols

Todd Fagin tfagin at COORDINATESOLUTIONS.COM
Fri Jul 21 19:20:50 EDT 2006

Greetings list,

I am quite new to MapServer, so please bear with me on this one.  Currently,
I have a layer called highways and I am attempting to label each highway
with an appropriate highway symbol.  I have both gifs and pngs of the
symbols I want to use and I am borrowing code from a map file that I know
has worked in the past.  I have attempted to do this several different ways.
The first method receives an error that states: "Attempted to read or write
protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."
This is using the code that has worked in a previous map file (I do not know
what version of MapServer was used, though.  I am using the latest version).

Below is an example of what I am doing in the map file:

CLASS # Interstate Anno

            MINSCALE 850000

            SYMBOL "interstate.png"

            EXPRESSION "IS"

            COLOR 0 0 0

            LABEL

                        TYPE BITMAP

                        MINDISTANCE 200

                        COLOR 255 255 255

                        SIZE tiny

                        POSITION CC

                        buffer 4

            END

END

I know that the problem is the interstate.png because when I comment that
one line out, everything works (except, I do not get my symbol, of course).
I have attempted to change the permissions on the file, the directory in
which it is in, etc., but to no avail.

I have also tried an alternative method in which I create a symbol in the
symbol file and reference it.

Here is what I have done:

SYMBOL

  NAME "Interstate"

  TYPE PIXMAP

  IMAGE "interstate.png"

END

When I reference this symbol in the symbol file, my map builds without any
errors, but my symbols still do not display.

Any suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Todd Fagin

Coordinate Solutions, Inc.

501 N.E. 15th St.