[SPAM] Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] National Atlas Projections... driving me crazy!

P Kishor punkish at EIDESIS.ORG
Tue Jul 25 09:31:46 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Ed McNierney <ed at topozone.com> wrote:
..
> This will end up treating latitude and longitude as X/Y planar coordinates.
> It will give you a map that is useless for many applications, but it seems
> to be a popular way to make bad maps on the Web.

very funny ;-)

Interestingly, while dealing with the real world, we seem to be more
comfortable saying, "I've gotta drive n miles (or whatever unit of
distance)," strangely we empathize more with lon/lats on the maps (it
is hard to think of some bazillion meters x some bazillion meters as
being the coords of, say Wash DC). Therein lies the human-map
tragedy...

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.ies.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation https://edu.osgeo.org/