NQuery or Query with overlapping planning regulations

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) bertelli at CHARTA.ACME.COM
Wed Jul 26 17:27:45 EDT 2006

Thank you, yes I think the overlapping regulations would always be
less than 10, perfectly feasible as a solution, but how to decide when
to show a target page - because we have only one option - or a
selection page - because we have two or more answers?

2006/7/26, Manfred Meier <m.meier at spiekermann.de>:
> Hello,
>
> if your number of different regulations at the same time is small, you
> could generate all info for these regulations and display them on the
> same page in invisible div's or iframe's together with a javascript
> powered selection menu for the user.
>
> Surely there are problems with javascript, browser compatibility and so
> on, but perhaps it's an idea.
>
> Manfred
>

> Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) schrieb:
>
> > Hello,
> > we are working at the website of the will-be Urban Center for the
> > municipality of Genova, Italy.
> > By now we have a website with descriptions of public and private works
> > which is driven by interactive maps.
> > The prototype works fairly well, it is mainly cgi mapserver inside a
> > simple php custom made page and is supposed to become a cms driven
> > site that uses Kaistar (http://www.kaistar.org - a java based open
> > source cms).
> > I think the problem I'm going to explain could be easily solved in
> > php, but we are not going to use php as a long run solution.
> > The problem could be conceived as a conditional choice between query
> > and nquery and it's due to the specific nature of the geographic data.
> > We use maps to go from one page (about areas, or problems, or public
> > plans, or projects) to another.
> > If we have project data that describe new developments or complete
> > redevelopments, the problem does not arise. We will have projects
> > spread all around the town area that do not overlap, so when we click
> > on one area we can easily direct the user to a new page (a simple
> > template contains the reference to the relevant project).
> > All seems to work well.
> > But when we deal with planning regulationswe cannot always direct the
> > user to a single page. Sometimes regulations overlap. We should have
> > some logic (java based or, by now, php based) in between that:
> > * shows a page to let the user decide what page to go when multiples
> > pages (for multiple regulations) are possible;
> > * directly goes to the selected page when the query outputs only one page.
> > Do someone have a better representation of the problem or a clean
> > solution for this problem?
> > Just to understand what happens in the prototype, look at:
> > http://civis.comune.genova.it/uc5_web/
> > http://civis.comune.genova.it/uc5_web/interna.php?codp=RIGURB01_1
> > works well. This is the case of redevelopment;
> > http://civis.comune.genova.it/uc5_web/interna.php?codp=GEC_RECCS1
> > does not work as supposed. Multiple regulations overlap here.

Carlo A. Bertelli
   Charta servizi e sistemi per il territorio e la storia ambientale srl
          Dipendenze del palazzo di Clemente Doria,
          vc. alla Chiesa della Maddalena 9/2 16124      Genova (Italy)
          tel. +39(0)10 2475439  fax +39(0)10 2475439  gsm:+39 333 2298345
   e-mail: bertelli at charta.acme.com      http://www.charta.acme.com