WMS and SRS

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Jul 27 09:22:21 EDT 2006

Daniel -

I think Frank's theory is likely to be correct, and that there is a problem with the BBOX coordinates used in your new request.  It sounds like the changes you made are fine, although I think it is not necessary to add all supported SRS systems to the metadata for each layer - just the MAP-level metadata should be all you need to do.

Can you post the SRS= and BBOX= parameters you are using in your original epsg:31468 request and in the new epsg:4326 requests?

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Daniel Goetz
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:05 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS and SRS

Hi coummunity,

I built up a littel WMS-server with umn-mapserver (local installation; ms4w 2.1). The "original" projection of the single Layers is alway epsg:31468 (these are cartesian Gauß-Krüger-coordiantes). So I set the PORJECTION-object of each LAYER and in the MAP-object to "init=epsg:31468". In the METADATA of the MAP-object as well as in the single LAYER-objects I defined "wms_srs" as "EPSG:31468" as well. For testing purpose I did some WMS-GetMap-Requests with "SRS=EPSG:31468" and everything went fine.

But now I want to make my WMS-service more interchangeable, so I want to define some more SRSs in that the WMS should be able to be displayed. I want to make it possible to "transform" (don't know the exact word in english) the WMS from its original Projection to another SRS (e.g. WGS 84; EPSG:4326). In my opinion this should be possible by adding another epsg-code to the METADATA. So my METADATA (both in the MAP and in the LAYERs-objects) look like this: "wms_srs" "EPSG:31468 EPSG:4326".

But now every time I change the SRS block in my WMS-GetMap-request from "SRS=EPSG:31468" to "SRS=EPSG:4326" mapserver returns a blank image. I even tried to set the BBOX to latlon-coordinates when using "SRS=EPSG:4326" but even this failed. I also testes other SRSs (both geographic ones and real projections) but with no success.

Could anybody please give me some help or hints what to do and what went wrong and why did this happen? I would be very glad and thankful. Thank you so much.

regards

Daniel