map gps coordinates with CGI/ (java or Perl)

P Kishor punkish at EIDESIS.ORG
Fri Jul 28 22:28:55 EDT 2006

Joel,

I don't have a specific suggestion for you, but I offer the following
to think about... You asked --

> > I'd like to map GPS lat/long coordinates dynamically through CGI

First, what does "dynamically" mean?

You will have to somehow transfer the lon/lat from the GPS to the
computer that hosts MapServer. So, that is your first task.

Then you will have to convert the lon/lat into x,y point features that
MapServer can read. That is your second task.

Then you will have to create an web app that refreshes every few
seconds in order to be qualified as "dynamically." That is your final
task.

Your best bet might be to send the GPS stream into a PostGIS database,
and set up a MapServer map file that reads that data source. Write an
Ajax-y app that refreshes the map without touching the rest of the
cruft, and you have a dynamic app.

When you get it all hooked up and working, I would love to see it and
happily plagiarize it ;-). Better yet, you can write up a nice how-to,
and attach your app for the rest of us to benefit.

Seriously, search the list archives. If I recall correctly, this kind
of stuff has been asked, and done before.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.ies.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation https://edu.osgeo.org/