map gps coordinates with CGI/ (java or Perl)

P Kishor punkish at EIDESIS.ORG
Mon Jul 31 14:41:26 EDT 2006

ya then...

On 7/31/06, Joel Thompson <joel at rhinosystemsinc.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it alot.
>
> By dynamically I meant that the CGI would some be given the
> coordinates at runtime - either read from db, or passed as PARAMETERS
> in CGI ... and so actually I don't need help in setting up that part.

so, it is not dynamic in as I thought of dynamic -- as in, a moving
dot on the screen. The above is plain, vanilla MapServer, so you are
set there.

> What I would like to know is what is the best approach for dealing
> with the list of Long/Lats???
>
> 1) Is it to create a MAP file w/ layers and features? OR
> 2) create a SHAPE file? OR
> 3) Is this kind of behavior already built into the MAP or MapServer
> some how?
> 4) Are their tools that help with this sort of stuff? Like GRASS or
> something else?

Well, MapServer will need a .map file with layer definitions. There is
no way around that. That is the direction that MapServer needs. That
said, within the .map file, you can define the layer as a shapefile
(in which case, you will need to create a shapefile), or you might
even be able to define it as an OGR datasource (although, once again,
I am skating on thin-ice here... truth be told, I have been doing more
data-munging lately instead of actually working with MapServer).

Whether you have to convert your lon/lat into a shapefile or define it
as an OGR datasource, FW's eponymous tools will help you greatly. You
can use ogr2ogr to convert lon/lat into shapefile, for which, you will
have to set up a .ovf file anyway (c'est compliqué, non?). Search for
ogr2ogr and FW_tools on the MapServer website.

> 5) Also - I am having problems setting up the Perl MapScript env -
> I can't get/find any directions on how to integrate the Perl modules into
> MapServer - Yet Perl works from Apache as a plain-old-cgi env.
> So I am wondering if I should attempt #1, or #2 in this CGI w/o the
> perl map module? or should I keep attempting to get the Perl Module
> integrated... (seemed straight forward, but not quite since I download
> prebuilt MapServer for Windows 2k and can't rebuild to integrated
> PERL...sigh..)

This is the main reason I have not been using MapServer lately. Afaik,
Perl/MapScript does not work on Windows, and I am, in my current phase
in life, stuck with Windows for some time. Other flavors of MapScript
apparently work on Windows, but I have little interest in those
languages.

If anyone has been able to build Perl/MapScript on Windows
successfully, please share the knowledge. (Steve Lime, le père de
MapServer, might be able to confirm this; then maybe not).

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.ies.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation https://edu.osgeo.org/