OGR DODS multiple attribute layer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Jun 2 10:56:33 EDT 2006

Jesse Cleary wrote:
> But I'd like to move to something like this.  Not working though -
> "msOGRFileOpen(): OGR error. GetLayer(wind_from_direction, air_pressure)
> failed for OGR connection" although the DODS URL in a browser (minor
> changes) does return the data I want.  I've tried a few DATA
> permutations - I think this is crux of the problem if its possible at all.
> <--
> LAYER
>  NAME  "JPOP_test"
>  TYPE POINT
>  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
>  CONNECTION
> 'DODS:http://nemo.isis.unc.edu/cgi-bin/nph-dods/data/nc-coos/test_data/JPIER/nccoos-JPOP-met-latest.nc?wind_speed[0][0][0],wind_from_direction[0][0][0]'
>
>  DATA "wind_speed, wind_from_direction"
>  STATUS OFF
>  CLASSITEM wind_speed'
>  LABELANGLEITEM 'wind_from_direction'

Jesse,

I see that your DODS dataset is using a list of Grid objects.  Unfortunately,
OGR will treat each grid as a distinct layer.  There is no direct way to
get a merged layer with attributes for wind_speed, wind_from_direction and so
forth.

I believe the OGR DODS driver will try to merge simple arrays together but
it does not appear to do this for grids.

In short, without substantial work on the OGR DODS driver I think you are
out of luck.

Best regards,