performance slows down when compiled with gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Jun 6 09:19:42 EDT 2006

porath at web.de wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> thanks for this hint. I checked out my Makefile and found that we compiled mapserver with fPIC:
> CFLAGS   = -O2 -fPIC -Wall   $(FLAGS)
> CXXFLAGS = -O2 -fPIC -Wall   $(FLAGS)
>

> "mapserv -v" takes without gdal 94-156 milliseconds and with gdal 203-313 milliseconds. It is only a little bit slower.

Holger,

OK, well, this certainly does not seem to be the problem.

> I think "FastCGI" would only help if the startup was an issue, right?

FastCGI only helps in avoid high startup overhead - usually in the context
of expensive database connections.

I'm afraid I don't know why you are seeing such performance degredation
but it is definately not typical.  You might want to turn on debugging to
see if the time is actually spent in drawing the raster layer.   Beyond that
I'm not too sure how to address the issue.

Best regards,