mapserver initialization delays

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Jun 12 21:40:54 EDT 2006

Scott -

"I have looked at the mapserver demo_init.html file and have added code
to my servlet that periodically performs the following get
http://www.geonomy.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/geonomy/geonomy.map&
layer=geonomy_features&program=/cgi-bin/mapserv&map_web_imagepath=/tmp&m
ap_web_imageurl=/tmp
request every N minutes (intervals of 1 minute - 10 minutes)... but,
this does not change the behavior. "

I'm not certain you've quite nailed down the problem correctly, at least
if I'm reading your comment above correctly <g>.  You seem to be saying
(a) performance is fine until there's a pause of "20 - 30 minutes"
between requests, and (b) forcing an automated request every N (1 < N <
10) minutes doesn't fix the problem.  Those both can't be true.

I tried your original URL but it doesn't seem to be working right now.
It would be helpful to understand just what conditions cause the
performance to degrade back to the original "slow" state.  Can you
clarify that as carefully as possible?  Thanks.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.