Character set encoding problem

Erik Baluba erik1969 at MAILHAVEN.COM
Thu Jun 15 07:04:58 EDT 2006

Hi Øyvind,
> I have data in an Oracle 10gR2 database in ISO-8859-1 encoded columns
> (WE8ISO8859P1) and the names of my geometries appear correctly in a
> sqlplus search. But on the test mapserver PNG all characters beyond
> decimal 127 (such as æøå) come out as '?'.

What is the NLS_LANG setting on the oracle client computer running your
webserver?  If it is a Norwegian or English Windows the codepage is WIN1252
and your NLS_LANG would be something like Norwegian_Norway.WE8MSWIN1252. If
so I see nothing wrong with your setup because character encodings for 'æøå'
are the same in both ISO-8859-1 and WIN1252. Still, you can try to set the
ENCODING to CP1252 in your mapping file to see if it helps.

  erik