Mapserver/GD JPEGs

Stephen Davies sdc at SDC.COM.AU
Tue Jun 27 02:35:40 EDT 2006

Last week I posted a request regarding comments in JPEGs and their
apparent effect on Motorola 3G telephones.

Since then I have found that a) the issue seems to affect all WAP phones
and b) it is not just comments that cause the problem.

It seems that these devices can only handle very simple images and those
generated by Mapserver/GD fall outside their capabilities.

I have found that, as well as removing the comments from my map images,
I have to go further.

My current work-around is to use a PERL script to generate the map image
to disk and then use the mogrify utility from Image Magik to "clean"
it. The mogrify command is simply:

mogrify -quality 100 image.jpg

but whatever this does to the image is enough to make it displayable on
a telephone when sent as an img src=.

If anybody knows more about what is happening here and/or what the
underlying problem is, I would love to hear it.

Cheers,
Stephen Davies
This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s).  No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting                            Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Fax: 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                       Mobile:0403 0405 83