Test Suite

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Thu Jun 29 09:21:03 EDT 2006

Daniel,

To answer your first two questions, status on makes the layers available, but does not display them.  With status on, you still need to explicitly add the layer names to your URL or form request.  If you set the layers to status default, they will always display.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Daniel Goetz
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 7:33 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Test Suite

Hi,

I am trying to learn from the examples given on the "Mapserver Test Suite" site.

http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/mapserver_demos/tests46/

But I have some problems with it. The first is that mapserver sends back an empty (white) image when I give the following command in my browser (I have the ms4w_Vers 1.5.3 package installed):

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apache/htdocs/oracle/lmaa.map&program=/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe/htmlroot=/oracle/maqp_web_imagepath=/ms4w/apache/htdocs/tmp/&map_web_imageurl=/tmp/

This command should be the exact copy of the command given in the example "Simple Point Query (mode=query), with pan/zoom" when starting the example from the "test suite start page". I have just adjusted the parameters to my environmet. the original command copied from the example is:

http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv46?map=/usr/local/www/docs_maps/mapserver_demos/tests46/query_persistent/test.map&program=/cgi-bin/mapserv46&htmlroot=/mapserver_demos/tests46&map_web_imagepath=/usr/local/www/docs_maps/tmp/&map_web_imageurl=/tmp/

Not until I add "&layers=all&" I get the desired map. What went wrong? Why do I need to add the "layers=all" phrase and in the example it is not necessary? The STATUS in my MAP-Object and in the LAYER-objects is "ON".

Secondy, I only get the "pan and zoom" template work, when I add the following to the "form" tag in the html code:

<input type="hidden" name="layers" value="all">

It is the same thing that I have just described. I need to have the "layer=all" statement in the commandline. But why do I have to and in the example it's not necessary?

Thirdly, what exactly is my "htmlroot" directory? Is it the "htdocs" within the "apache" directory? Or is it the directory where my .map-file is stored? Or any other? Does anybody have an idea?

Fourthly, in the .map-file of the "Simple Point Query (mode=query), with pan/zoom" example the STYLE value in the QUERYMAP-object is "select". In my opinion it must be "hilite" to get the result shown in the map. Am I right? Might it be, that the link "map file" points to a .map-file that doesn't belong to the "Simple Point Query (mode=query), with pan/zoom" example?

Moreover the TEMPLATE paramters in the LAYER-objects of that .map-file point to a template called "quad.html". But the link "URL query template" that is provided on the "starting page" of the "Simple Point Query (mode=query), with pan/zoom" example points to a file called "selected.html". Is this a mistake? Can anybody please enlighten me?

The next thing I have noticed is that the link "URL query template" could not be opened. I get a error notice (ERROR 404): file not found on this server. What went wrong? I would urgently need this source code because otherwise I can not understand how to preseve a selected feature (colored) even if I do some further zomming and panning. Can anybody help me? Perhaps somebody could explain me how I can preserve a selected feature colored? Thank you so much.

Last thing is, that the source code of the linked "template file" differs from the source code of the "real" template. Namely the following tag is missing in the linkes "template file" source code:

<input type="hidden" name="county" value="[county]">

Moreover I do not understand what this line stands for. What means "[county]" and why and how can mapserver interpret this expression. Where does the required information come from?

O.K. that should be enough for the moment. Perhaps this were too much questions but if I can not answer these question I am not able to rebuild the "Simple Point Query (mode=query), with pan/zoom" example. And I want to be able to perserve selected (colored) features even if I do some zomming and panning.

I want to thank you for your time, your ideas, your help, endeavors and your indulgence. Many thanks.

regards

Daniel