Coordinate Systems

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Fri Jun 30 12:26:58 EDT 2006

Ryan,

Are these degrees of Long/Lat, or are they meters from a projection like
UTM.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ryan Ollerenshaw
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 11:05 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Coordinate Systems

I keep on seeing lat/long values represented as large integer number and
I am unsure how this conversion is made.  For example 356800E, 5767999N
I assume maps to a specific lat/long location but how do I determine
exactly where.

My problem is that I need to create world files for several aerial
photos that have lat/long values in the title but I am not sure how to
georeference these images using MapServer.

Example file name: thm_dir_N00_000.png, them_dir_N00_030.png

Also,
I believe that I can use gdal_translate to georeference these images
would the correct format be: gdal_translate -a_ullr 180 0 210 -30
thm_dir_N-30_180.png thm_dir_N-30_180.tiff