Newbie projection question.

John Preston byhisdeeds at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 30 13:59:02 EDT 2006

Hi, I'm a newbie to mapserver and have a basic question I can't verify
that I'm doing correctly so I'm writing here.

I have a mapserver setup as a WMS server which I will use an
OpenLayers client to access. I'm using OpenLayers so that I can
overlay maps from various sources (other WMS servers).

The map files that I have are tiff images with world files in local
coordinates. I therefore setup my map that will be served up by my
mapserver with the following info:

MAP
  # Extent of map files converted from local coiordinates to LAT/LON
  EXTENT -78.5 17.5 -76 18.5

  PROJECTION
      "proj=lcc"
      "lat_1=..."
      "lat_2=..."
      "lon_0=..."
      "lat_0=..."
      "x_0=..."
      "y_0=..."
  END

  LAYER
    DATA "/path/to/tiff/image"
  END
END

Needless to say, I get an empty image back when I try and access the
maps specifying a bounding box that should cover the area of the tiff
image. I have not set the projection info for the individual layers as
they are the same as the map.

Am I doing something wrong