threads in mapserv

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Fri Mar 3 01:28:06 EST 2006

Tim,
FastCGI does not require thread-safety.  You will find your SDE tests
work much much better with fcgi: in fact, the fcgi support got
finished precisely because of an SDE contract we were working on that
needed to get decent performance.  Don't forget to defer connection
closing in your map file, otherwise you'll get no benefit from the
fcgi connection pool.  We found that 2-3 mapserver fcgi processes per
CPU was the sweet spot.  The fcgi module queues up requests if all
the child processes are busy, which is actually preferable to running
them all concurrently (and making them all finish slower).  It is a
nice way to smooth out bursts of load so they don't simply drop the
machine to it's knees by firing up 10 concurrent mapservers.
Paul