Mapserver on Linux vs Windows

Erik Baluba erik1969 at MAILHAVEN.COM
Fri Mar 3 17:34:51 EST 2006

Hi,

I don't know for sure but my guess is that performance differences are
neglectable for most. Using the binary distributions on Windows certainly is
very convenient, especially since DM Solutions provides precompiled
PHP/Mapscript binaries regularly.

But when using precompiled binaries you are stuck with whatever they
compiled into it, so before you make your move make sure they provide what
you need.  Example, neither Oracle nor iconv support is available in the
binaries from DM Solution. Howard Butler's Kitchen Sink binaries provide all
3rd party modules, except for PHP Mapscript :-/.

  erik

"Sture Dingsøyr" <candalt at ONLINE.NO> wrote in message
news:31892267.1141421998584.JavaMail.adm-moff at moffice11.nsc.no...
> Hi there
>
> We have a server running Mapserver on Linux (Red Hat 8). Is is used to
generate maps, mainly from shapefiles. But also some layers from
Postgis/WMS. To do this we use PHP and MapScrip...

> We are now considering the possibility to port our solution from Linux to
Windows, mainly du to the fact that maintaining new versions of Mapserver on
Windows are quite easy with the pre-built binary package that exists for
Windows (no compiling is needed).

> Does anybody have any experience on how a Mapserver solution works on
Windows compared to Linux. I am mainly thinking about speed and performance?