Mapserver on Linux vs Windows

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Mar 6 12:03:57 EST 2006

Tim -

Thanks for filling in some of the details - sounds like quite a project!

If all your data are coming from external SDE sources, outside of your
control, then don't worry about those.  Pay attention to the
configuration of your MapServer systems.

In your scenario, your MapServer systems will all be acting as OGC
clients and servers.  In those scenarios, those machines will be doing a
lot of disk I/O, writing data retrieved from the SDE boxes and then
reading that data to build and serve output data.  As a result, you will
have a lot of simultaneous reading and writing going on.  Each system
will have a very busy disk subsystem.

You will want a disk subsystem that has very low random seek times
(since you'll be jumping around among multiple requests all the time),
and can handle lots of simultaneous I/O requests.  Conversely, all your
MapServer data is transient data used only to serve the current request,
so you don't need to worry about redundancy or disk failure on your data
disks.

That sounds like a recipe for (a) a RAID 0 (striped) array of disks, (b)
SCSI drives, and (c) high-RPM disks.  The RAID 0 array will give you
excellent read and write performance.  It will give you no data
redundancy, but you don't care about that.  You should opt for a large
number of smaller disks rather than a small number of larger disks, as
this will improve your performance.  SCSI drives will handle multiple
I/O requests better than IDE drives.  And high-RPM drives (15K RPM) will
reduce your seek times (and are another reason to use SCSI, as SCSI
drives are generally available at higher RPMs).

The chief downside of this architecture is that it's expensive.  From
your description of the project, it doesn't sound like that's a problem
<g>.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker