map file in tmp directory

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Mar 6 12:05:28 EST 2006

Puneet -

As opposed to map mode (mode=map), in which case the image is returned
directly in response to the HTTP request and no temporary file is
written to disk.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
(978) 251-4242

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Puneet Kishor
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 10:10 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] map file in tmp directory

On Mar 6, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Chip Taylor wrote:

> I was aghast to find over 4,000 files in my /tmp directory.  That is
> the directory I have designated as the IMAGEPATH and IMAGEURL for
> MapServer.  I know that these files are only created if MapServer is
> run in Browse mode.

as opposed to what other mode?

> I am running under IIS.  Short of creating a scheduled process, is
> there a way that MapServer can remove these files once they are
> served?  I know that they are only used one time and then never again.

> Seems to be inefficient to let them pile up.

yup. It is inefficient to let them pile up, but you have to do it, not
MapServer. Just schedule a simple "rm *.png" (or equivalent) every n
minutes or so. There are ways you can also send the image directly to
the browser instead of first writing it to the disk. Just search the
archives for hints.

--
Puneet Kishor