MapServer incompatibility with RHEL4/CE NTOS4.2

Lowell.Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Mon Mar 6 13:03:39 EST 2006

Doyon, Jean-Francois writes:

> Alright, I have now officially tracked down the source of the problem.
>
> The FreeType 2.1.9-1 source package that comes with CentOS 4.2 is not built
> properly, or at least packaged properly.
>
> It includes a patch called "freetype-2.1.3-enable-ft2-bci.patch" that is
> supposed to turn on the ByteCode Interpreter within FreeType.
>
> This patch as you see dates back to version 2.1.3 ... And when applied to
> the 2.1.9 source code, it doesn't work (the line numbers don't match?),
> which means that the 2.1.9 binary package does NOT have the Bytecode
> Interpreter enabled, as other releases always did.
>
> In my case at least, this causes the rendering problems I've been
> experiencing.  Also because I wasn't aware of this option, any package I
> compiled manually would suffer from the problem as well.
>
> If I recompile the 2.1.9 source and manually edit the #define for BCI, then
> everything is back to normal!
>
> Bloody hell.
>
> I suppose not all font files get affected the same way by this, so not every
> one might notice a difference?

J.F.,

Good work!
Do you plan to submit something to the CentOS bug tracker? If it would help
any I could install the srpm for RHEL 4 and submit a bug to RH directly
after verifying the bad patch exists.

Lowell