[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Security issue

Antti Roppola Antti.Roppola at BRS.GOV.AU
Tue Mar 7 23:27:37 EST 2006

Hi James,

Some options:

Make sure the embedded accounts only have select against the tables that they
need. Create a client account with the minumum prvileges required to function.

Configure your webserver to not allow users to access map files, for Apache
you could either set up a server wide directive to disallow "\.map$", or put all
your map files in a directory outside the webroot or one that uses .htaccess
to deny HTTP access (Mapserver will read them via the filesystem).

Use Mapscript to dynamically create connection values from elsewhere at call time.

Depending on your environment, it's not a whole lot different to how a lot of server side
scripting environments already handle database connectivity:
    http://mavweb.net/asp-samples/database-connection-strings.asp <http://mavweb.net/asp-samples/database-connection-strings.asp>
(no-one has wobblies about .asp or .cfm pages containing connect strings)

Also, if your DB is configured to only allow local connections, by the stage someone
can actually use the purloined details they probably own your host system anyway.

Regards,

Antti

   _____