"Capturing" mapserver images

Stephen Davies sdc at SDC.COM.AU
Mon Mar 13 03:33:26 EST 2006

Greetings.

I need to be able to present a series of maps for "time lapse" display.

The PostgreSQL database behind the mapserver application in question
contains both geometry and time-based attribute values and the map file
currently used to display the data uses layers, filters and classes to
colour geometries according to current attribute values.

The idea is to somehow capture the images showing the geometry states
at, for example, noon each day for the past month and then use
javascript to display those images as a "movie" similar to those
provided by many weather bureaux.

I have tried doing it simply by pausing in the browser between repaint
requests but there is too much variability between browsers and - in
particular - between broadband and dialup users.

I know I could achieve the objective by writing a PERL or Java program
to emulate a browser, retrieve the output image name and ignore the
output but wondered if there were a simpler method such as invoking
mapserver in map mode from a shell.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be most welcome.

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen Davies
This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s).  No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting                            Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Fax: 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                       Mobile:0403 0405 83