Clickable Rotated Floorplans on the Web

Kyle Mulka mulka at UMICH.EDU
Mon Mar 13 03:51:32 EST 2006

Hello,

So... I want to georeference a bunch of floor plans... got that down,
not a problem. Then, I want to serve them on the web via the Google Maps
interface... again not a problem. The problem come in when I want north
to be another direction besides straight up. I can no longer use Google
Maps, because I can't figure out how to get it to rotate its coordinate
system so that I can add markers via lat/long and detect the lat/long of
a point the user clicks on.

The other problem I'm having with mapserver is that the images it
creates are not as clean as the original input image. Here's with mapserver:
http://maps.kylemulka.com/floorplan-test8.php
Here's without:
http://maps.kylemulka.com/imagemagick/liveugli.php

Notice how much clearer the second set of maps are when I don't use
mapserver. I'm instead simply using imagemagick to tile the input image.
You may have to zoom in all the way to see the difference. Also notice
that north has to be straight up when I try to place markers by lat/long.

What are the possible solutions to these two problems? Does anyone know
of software I could to help me out here? I don't want to use Flash or a
Java Applet because of the need to install plugins.

Thanks,

--
Kyle Mulka
liveUgli.com's Mapping Guru