Mapserver in an IIS cluster

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at IASTATE.EDU
Mon Mar 13 20:38:36 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Chip Taylor wrote:

> I am running Mapserver 4.6 CGI on Windows/IIS and attempting to make it work
> in a twoserver cluster.  I have all the shape files, map files, template
> files etc duplicated on both servers.
>
> When I attempt to generate a map it appears that the template is generated
> on one server but the image may be generated in the /tmp directory of the
> other server, causing no image to appear on the HTML page.  If I look into
> the /tmp directory of both servers I will find the missing image on one of
> them and can double click and display it just fine.  If I refresh the HTML
> page enough times they will sync and the image will appear.
>
> Obviously this is a problem.  Can anyone running a cluster help me with
> this?

Sure, I can try.  I had the same issue when I first setup my web cluster.
Are you running a Linux Virtual Server?  If so, you may need to consider
changing the scheduling algorithm.  Currently, it sounds like you are
using a round robin, where each HTTP request is rotated between real
servers.  You will need to change it to use a scheduler which schedules
requests from clients to the same real server during the session for each
client.

I have been running such a setup with mapserver without any reported
errors like the above.

daryl

--
/**