Problem with reprojected images

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Mar 14 09:38:12 EST 2006

Dirk -

I assume your tiled source images do not overlap, and that the originals
do not have white border strips around them.

If that's the case, this may be an inevitable artifact of the
reprojection.  Look at the situation along one north/south edge between
two tiles.

If you render the tiles in the source projection you'll get two adjacent
vertical lines along the edges of each file, with no gap between them.

If you reproject the tiles, then you will have two adjacent edges that
are two diagonal lines.  The distance between the edges may not be 1,
and may vary by a pixel along the course of those two diagonal lines.
When that happens, the images will sometimes overlap by one pixel (you
won't notice) and will sometimes leave a one-pixel gap (which is
obvious).  The obvious gaps will repeat in a regular pattern since the
phase difference between the two diagonal lines will be regular and
repeating.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker