where to save .map files on Windows?

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Mar 14 10:45:59 EST 2006

Wouter,

For testing purposes, it really doesn't matter where you store your .map
file.  Just create a folder that is accessible by your CGI, most likely
anywhere on your Windows machine will work.

The reason that it doesn't matter where you put it is that you have to
tell MapServer where your .map file is.  If you are calling MapServer
directly from the URL, you need to specify the location of the .map file
using a URL variable.  e.g.
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=c:/myfirstmapserverapp/mymapfil
e.map

If the example that you are using is using a html template to call with
MapServer, there is likely a html input of type 'hidden' on the page
that looks somethign like map="/home/mapdata" and you will want to
change that to map="c:\myfirstmapserverapp\mymapfile.map" or whatever
the path to your map file is.

David.