Improving Performance... {Scanned}

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Mon Mar 20 10:07:47 EST 2006

Jelmer,

If you search the archives, there has been a lot written about how to
optimize your data.  Ed McNierney has written many great posts on this.

My guess is that you are trying to load more data than you really need
to.  If you are drawing the full extent of your shapefile, (zoomed out),
do you really need the fine detail in your data set.  This is a case
where a thin or more generalized version of your original data set would
be useful.

I MapServer, using minscale and maxscale, you can show the generalized
or simplified version of your data in one layer when the person is
zoomed out and then show a different, more detailed version of the data
in a different layer when you are zoomed in.

When setting up this more detailed layer, you will want to tile your
data and use a tileindex.  This way, you don't need to read your whole
data set to just draw one small area of it.

Of course, you will also want spatial indexes.

David.