Mac OS X installers Panther vs Tiger

William Kyngesburye woklist at KYNGCHAOS.COM
Mon Mar 20 23:08:34 EST 2006

Ah.  That's an odd issue with MapServer's configure script.  It
checks for static libraries for many things, including proj.  I don't
include static libraries in my packages.  I edit configure to check
for dynamic libraries instead.  If you use BBEdit or TextWrangler, I
use this find/replace:

grep: (lib(png|jpeg|gd|proj|pdf|Xpm)).a
with: \1.dylib

Also, just to make sure to use the libXpm in my GraphicsLibs, replace
all '-lX11' in configure with nothing (that is, delete -lX11).

It should affect more than just proj (see the grep line above), but
maybe you have built some of the other dependencies in /usr/local in
the past?

On Mar 20, 2006, at 8:45 PM, Allan Doyle wrote:

> On 3/20/06, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
>> Well, I've been considering Python mapscript.  Things that have been
>> stalling me are:
>>
>> - waiting for the Universal MacPython
>>
>> - recent focus on getting everything Universal
>>
>> - I wasn't sure of the status/stability/feature parity of python
>> mapscript
>>
>> - I forgot (that universal thing, again, pushed a lot to the back of
>> my mind)
>>
>> I have built it before as a test.  What's the problem with PROJ?  My
>> installers include proj 4.4.9, is there a some build error?
>
> I don't think there's a build error, but to build python mapscript,
> simply using --with-proj=/usr/local/gislibs does not work. So I built
> proj and installed it into a dummy location so that the mapscript for
> python build would be able to pick it up.
>
>   Allan
>

>> On Mar 20, 2006, at 5:31 PM, Allan Doyle wrote:
>>
>>> First of all, thanks for the great packages!
>>>
>>> I just voted for Tiger-only. But I'm a pretty small-potatoes user,
>>> I suspect your poll may get skewed by that kind of thing.
>>>
>>> However, as long as you're asking, I did run into trouble the other
>>> day not being able to build python mapscript after having installed
>>> all the Mac packages. I wrote this up:
>>>
>>>  http://www.eogeo.org/Members/adoyle/ad-snippets/pymapscript-build
>>>
>>> If I did something really stupid, please let me know...
>>>
>>>       Allan
>>>

>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
>> illusion caused by the passage of history."
>>
>> - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin