Improving Performance... {Scanned}

Steven Monai stevem at SPATIALMAPPING.COM
Tue Mar 21 12:07:54 EST 2006

Carola:

I have not personally tried it, but PostGIS provides a Simplify() function
that could be used to generate simplified datasets for use at smaller
scales. Quoted from the online manual (at
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch06.html):

Simplify(geometry, tolerance)

    Returns a "simplified" version of the given geometry using the
Douglas-Peuker algorithm. Will actually do something only with (multi)lines
and (multi)polygons but you can safely call it with any kind of geometry.
Since simplification occurs on a object-by-object basis you can also feed a
GeometryCollection to this function. Note that returned geometry might loose
its simplicity (see IsSimple).

Regards,
-SM