ODBC join to shapefile

David Shorthouse dps1 at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Mar 22 00:36:24 EST 2006

Hello folks,

    Is it possible to join a column in a shapefile's dbf to a column in an
ODBC stored procedure via OGR? I'm not too concerned about performance, so
this is the idea for the mapfile syntax:

LAYER
  NAME StatesProvinces
  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
  CONNECTION Nearctic.shp
  DATA "SELECT NAME, SpiderData.StateProvince FROM Nearctic LEFT JOIN
            '<OGRVRTDataSource>
            <OGRVRTLayer name="SpiderData">
            <SrcDataSource>ODBC:xxxx/xxxx at xxxx</SrcDataSource>
            <SrcSQL>EXEC LocalityList "%SpeciesCode%"</SrcSQL>
            </OGRVRTLayer>
            </OGRVRTDataSource>'.SpiderData ON NAME =
SpiderData.StateProvince"
  STATUS DEFAULT
  TYPE POLYGON
  CLASSITEM "NAME"

  CLASS
    NAME "Yukon Territory"
    EXPRESSION "Yukon Territory"
    COLOR 210 210 210
  END

  CLASS
    NAME "Northwest Territories"
    EXPRESSION "Northwest Territories"
    COLOR 205 92 92
  END

etc.

What I ultimately want to do is shade a selection of whole States and
Provinces (in a shapefile) a colour different from those not chosen as a
result of a JOIN to an ODBC stored procedure. The single and double quotes
in the DATA rows above choke on one another, so this obviously doesn't work.
Anyone have any ideas?

David P. Shorthouse
Department of Biological Sciences
CW-403, Biological Sciences Centre