Map files for dummies?

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Mar 24 17:33:27 EST 2006

Dave -

Your EXTENT is in China, so if your shapefile is in Texas it won't show
up.  Your Y-coordinate (longitude) values should be negative numbers in
the Western Hemisphere, and should be reversed so the minimum value
(more negative) comes first.  I expect ogrinfo is really reporting
negative numbers - if it's not, then your data are in error.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Dave Nuttall
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 2:09 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Map files for dummies?

I have an instance of Mapserver 4.8.1 running on CentOS with Apache
2.20, PHP 5.1.2 and Mapscript running as a DSO.

I can make/display maps where I use the canned tutorials.  But I'm
failing to create map displays when I substitute shapefiles that are of
local interest.

The shapefiles in question are apparently valid, since I can read them
without any problems using "ogrinfo -al shapefile.shp".

I extract the decimal dimensions and create my own *.map file, but all I
ever get is the layer for pseudo-credits.

If someone could tweak my map file (which follows), it would be a
valuable learning experience for me.

TIA.

Dave Nuttall

San Antonio, TX

Here is my map file:

MAP

    NAME BEXAR2

    STATUS ON

    SIZE 400 300

    IMAGETYPE PNG

    IMAGECOLOR 240 240 240

    SHAPEPATH "/var/www/data/texas"

    # the extents were pulled from the shape file with ogrinfo

    EXTENT 29.114435 98.116613 29.760630 98.806552

    UNITS DD

            LAYER

                        NAME "Bexar County"

                        TYPE POLYGON

                        STATUS ON

                        DATA "tgr48029all"

    # don't know if this projection is valid!

                        PROJECTION

                           "proj=latlong"

                           "ellps=GRS80"

                           "datum=NAD83"

                        END

                        CLASS

                        NAME "Bexar County"

                        OUTLINECOLOR 90 90 90

                        COLOR 0 255 0

                        END

END

# End of map layer

# This credits layer always works/displays!

            LAYER

                                     NAME "credits"

                                     STATUS DEFAULT

                                     TRANSFORM FALSE

                                     TYPE ANNOTATION

                                     FEATURE

POINTS 10 290

                                     END

                                     TEXT 'Made with Mapserver. AIM to
see it.'

            END

            CLASS

                                    LABEL

                                    TYPE BITMAP

                                    POSITION CR

                                    COLOR 0 0 0

                                    END

                        END

END

# end of credits layer

END

# end of bexar2.map for Bexar County, Texas.