Labelling highways

Steve Pashby s.pashby at POSTGRAD.CURTIN.EDU.AU
Fri Mar 24 19:09:59 EST 2006

Steve Lime <steve.lime <at> DNR.STATE.MN.US> writes:

> Actually labeling highways is done with 2 layer definitions:
>
>   1) one for the line work
>   2) and a second annotation layer for the shield and highway number
>
> Often the second layer def looks like:
>
> LAYER
>   NAME highways
>   TYPE ANNOTATION
>   DATA highways
>   LABELITEM roadnum
>   CLASS
>     STYLE
>       SYMBOL shield.gif
>     END
>     LABEL
>       COLOR 0 0 0
>       SIZE TINY
>     END
>   END
> END
>
> Steve
Thanks for everyone's input.

What i wanted to do was at the full extents of the map to simply show the
highway signs, and then when you zoom in (to a certain scale) to loose the
highway signs and actually name the highways.

I take it with the annotation layer you don't need to mess about with an
OVERLAYSYMBOL definition (to overlay the highway number)???

Cheers,
Steve