Web application error

Dave Stone D.Stone at ED.AC.UK
Mon Mar 27 09:07:26 EST 2006

I am having problems adapting the class-level query template technique in
Example 3.1 of the MapServer Tutorial.

Essentially, I want to do as the tutorial example does, i.e. be able to
click on a point feature on the map, and have a query template open up and
display attributes for the point.

The only significant difference between my setup and the example's (that I
can see) is that the example queries a layer (cities) whose data source is a
shapefile containing polygons, whereas my source is points in a PostGIS view
(dedloc). The .map file segment for the layer is:

 LAYER # query layer using the dedloc PostgreSQL view
    CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
    NAME          saint_dedications
    CONNECTION    "user=erdb13 dbname=stdraft"
    DATA          "geom from dedloc USING UNIQUE dr USING SRID=27700"
    STATUS        DEFAULT
    DEBUG         ON
    TYPE          POINT
    FILTERITEM    dedicationtype
    FILTER        "dedicationtype='%dtype%'"
    TOLERANCE     5
    CLASS
      NAME        "Dedications"
      MINSCALE    2000000
      TEMPLATE    "result.html"
      STYLE
        SYMBOL      "circle"
        SIZE        5
        COLOR       255 0 0
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
      END
    END
    CLASS
      MAXSCALE    1900000
      TEMPLATE    "result.html"
      STYLE
        SYMBOL      "circle"
        SIZE        10
        COLOR       255 0 0
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
      END
    END
  END # test query layer

and the URL invoking the query template is:

http://drayton.ucs.ed.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mapserv?imgxy=300.0+300.0&
imgext=217114.636666+624099.796666+387452.636666+794437.796666&
map=%2Fvar%2Fwww%2Fhtml%2Fsaints%2Fdata%2Fparish%2Fuig.map&
savequery=true&mode=browse&img.x=320&img.y=271&zoomdir=0&zoomsize=4&
layer=parish_labels&layer=parish&layer=saint_dedications&mode=query&
dtype=Altar+dedication

What I get when I click on a dot on the map displaying saint_dedications is
a web page headed 'MapServer Message', but then no message, no attributes
for the dot I clicked, nothing!

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong? The query template
(result.html) is very simple; like Example 3.1, it just displays boilerplate
HTML and attribute values for the dot that was clicked.