difficulty running new Mapserv CGI within cgi-bin

Kurt Menke kmenke at EDAC.UNM.EDU
Tue Mar 28 13:32:22 EST 2006

Hello,

I have just built Mapserv from source on a new Intel data server running
RedHat Enterprise Server 4, u2, i386.  I built Mapserv version 4.6.2 with
Proj 4.4.9 and the server is running Apache 2.0.52.

Mapserv compiled correctly and from the src directory I am able to do a
./mapserv -v and get the correct version info etc (below).

MapServer version 4.6.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

However when I copy this Mapserv cgi to the cgi-bin I get no response from
it command line.  For the time being this data server is only being used as
a WMS Server for large raster datasets served out to other clients.

I built a GDALTINDEX against a series of DOQQ's and set up a mapfile as a
WMS Server for the GDALTINDEX.

I have a Mapserv client on another server that has a layer defined as a WMS
request to this GDALTINDEX.

When I turn this layer on I get the following error.

Traceback (most recent call last): File
"/var/www/cgi-bin/rgisraster/rgisraster.py", line 74, in ?
phairmap.build_map() #build all map objects; process form data File
"/var/www/cgi-bin/rgisraster/mapmodule.py", line 1286, in build_map
self.map_image=self.currentMap.draw() File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mapscript.py", line 867, in draw def
draw(*args): return _mapscript.mapObj_draw(*args) _mapscript.MapServerError:
msDrawWMSLayerLow(): WMS server error. WMS GetMap request failed for layer
'DOQQ05' (Status -7: Connection failed). msHTTPExecuteRequests(): HTTP
request error. HTTP: request failed with curl error code 7 (Connection
failed) for
http://10.16.1.28/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=doqq05/doqq05_wms.map&LAYERS=doqq05&RE
QUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&STYLES=&HEIGHT=550&VE

The apache log on the new data server has the following error.

[Tue Mar 28 09:58:36 2006] [error] [client 10.16.1.69]
/var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv: error while loading shared libraries:
libproj.so.0: failed to map segment from shared object: Permission denied

[Tue Mar 28 09:58:36 2006] [error] [client 10.16.1.69] Premature end of
script headers: mapserv

The path to the libproj.so.0 has been set in the ld.so.conf file and the
file is in the correct directory.

If I try a GetCapabilities on the GDALTINDEX layer I just get a 500 Internal
Server Error.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the mapserv cgi could be responding this
way in the cgi-bin?

Thanks.

Kurt A. Menke, GISP

GIS Analyst/Programmer