WMS and Web Services

Bird, Derek (xwave) Derek.Bird at XWAVE.COM
Thu Mar 30 09:13:53 EST 2006

I did something like that using GML ... There are some demos on the umn
website ... But pretty much just make your webservice output xml and add an
entry to your mapfile.

LAYER
.. Bunch of layer code ..
CONNECTIONTYPE WFS
CONNECTION "http://URL/doGetSystemStatusGML?pGroup_id=1&pSite_id=1&"
END

Cheers,
Derek

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of listuser HH
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:05 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS and Web Services

Hi List,

this is the problem: I have x/y data comming from a normal web service - no
wfs. I want to show the points in a map. I thought that I get the data from
the web service and put it via mapscript to a layer. Should be possible -
but what is to do when I want to serve this dynamic feature layer in WMS. At
the moment the only thing that I see to solve this is to write the data from
the web service in file and use this for the WMS.

Is there a better possiblity? Has someone done something like that?

Is there a difference in performance between reading the data from a file
and adding data directly in mapscript?

Thanks and best regards

Norbert