Defining a line from SQL server using OGR

Chip Taylor work at XWB.COM
Thu Mar 30 10:00:23 EST 2006

I am retrieving a set of point from SQL Server using OGR.  If I declare the
layer type to be "Point" then it works fine.  However, I want the series of
XY coordinates to define a line.  If I declare the layer type "Line" nothing
renders.  Any help would be appreciated.  Here is the layer code defined as
a line (there are two xy points in the database):

#####################################

# Tracking

#

LAYER

  NAME GPSLayer1

  TYPE Point

  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR

  CONNECTION

 '<OGRVRTDataSource>

       <OGRVRTLayer name="GPSData">

        <SrcDataSource>ODBC:myUser/myPwd at myDSN</SrcDataSource>

       <SrcSQL>EXEC pGetTracking</SrcSQL>

       <GeometryType>wkbLineString</GeometryType>

        <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="gpsLongitude"
y="gpsLatitude"/>

      </OGRVRTLayer>

  </OGRVRTDataSource>'

  DATA "GPSData"

  CLASSITEM "gpsDeviceId"

  STATUS off

  CLASS

          EXPRESSION /Device1/

          STYLE

                 COLOR 90 0 255

                 OUTLINECOLOR 0 255 0

                 SYMBOL 'BigLine'

                 SIZE 40

          END

  END

 END

########### End of Tracking Layer ###############