MapServer Oracle - MS or OGR?

William Kyngesburye woklist at KYNGCHAOS.COM
Thu Mar 30 10:28:18 EST 2006

I'm wondering how MapServer's builtin Oracle support is different
from OGR's?  Feature support and performance.

I would rather use Oracle from GDAL.  My concern is that Oracle
support is fixed into the MapServer binary, either it has it or it
doesn't.  No plugin mechanism in MapServer (or is there?).  If it
does, a user must install the Oracle Instant Client to use MapServer
even if they don't use Oracle (tho there is the weak link trick in
Darwin).  But with OGR, one should be able to build Oracle support as
a plugin, much like the GRASS plugin (I plan to try it for my next
GIS Libs for Mac OS X).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro