Minimal Swig version

José Vilson de Mello de Farias vilson.farias at DIGITRO.COM.BR
Mon Oct 2 16:20:25 EDT 2006

Greetings,

    on last Friday I got the new Mapserver code from CVS, which required
a new Swig version (1.3.28 or later) in order to execute a java
mapscript "make test". Therefore, I removed my original Swig 1.3.21 RPM
and installed a new 1.3.29 from source.

  The make test was sucessfull, but it seemed the whole java mapscript
was messed. Per example, if I tried to execute a mapObj.setMappath, Java
would tell me there was a "java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
set_mapObj_mappath".
  I thought the problem could be related to newest Mapserver code from
CVS, so I made the same test against a previous Mapserver version I had
in a backup. Despite the version, the same
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError error ocurred again. At this time I
figured out the problem couldn't be related to Mapserver code since I
was sure this version had worked perfectly and had been used a lot here.

  The next suspect was Swig. I installed 1.3.28 from source (problems
ocurred on 1.3.29) but I had no luck again. The same situation happened
with both backup and CVS Mapserver code.

  Nevertheless I still had a last try. I downloaded a Swig 1.3.24 RPM,
wich was a little newer than my original 1.3.21 adn at this time both
Mapserver from CVS and my old backup were working again.

  Now my questions :

   What is the minimal Swig version to be used with Mapserver?

   Could my Java Mapscript have some unexpected behavior if I keep using
a Swig older than 1.3.28?

   Does anyone else had problems with Swig 1.3.28/29 compiled from
source and Java Mapscript?

   Do you have any suggestion to help me to solve this problem with Swig?

Best regards,

*José Vilson de Mello de Farias*
/Analista de Sistemas
//SSE - Segurança Pública/