malloc() problem using PHP/MapScript

Ben Sims benjaminsims at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 4 04:48:48 EDT 2006

Hello to all,

I have an application which uses PHP/MapScript to draw basic maps. It works fine on my development machine (Mac OSX using precompiled libraries and a recently compiled version of the latest PHP source). I recently tried to transfer it to a production server:

Scientific Linux (basically Red Hat)
Apache 2.0.52
PHP compiled from most recent source
Most graphic libraries installed using yum
Geographic specific libraries (GEO, GDAL, PROJ4, taken from FWTools) - note that I had to move libproj.so.0 into the /usr/lib directory, and also libstdc++.5, since this system had libstdc++.6

Running the page which is supposed to draw maps, instead of displaying the page I am asked if I want to download it. So, I at first thought it was merely something to do with Apache configuration.

However, I note that although shape files have been generated, the image files for the map have not. Looking in the Apache error log, there is the following:

*** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x094501c8 ***
[Wed Oct 04 10:37:57 2006] [notice] child pid 7507 exit signal Aborted (6)

There are also various PHP Notice errors, although these are the sort of thing I would usually ignore and am not sure they are related.

Could anyone advise me as to how to deal with this problem, or get more information?

Thanks,
Benjamin