malloc() problem using PHP/MapScript

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Oct 4 21:34:24 EDT 2006

Ben Sims wrote:
> Update:
>
> The error has changed slightly after some minor application changes. I have also experimented with running a test script using the same code through the gdb debugger. If it might give anybody any clues, here is the backtrace:
>
> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x08e825c0 ***

Ben,

My understanding is that PHP MapScript is prone to conflicting versions of
some libraries between PHP and MapScript (such as GD, etc) which might
be responsible.  I see you are building against FWTools.  That works
most smoothly when you can depend quite entirely on the FWTools
libraries which includes stuff like libz, libpng, etc that may conflict
in version with stuff already on your system (and linked into PHP).

I would encourage you to try FGS (http://www.maptools.org) as a way of
getting prebuilt binaries with PHP MapScript support.  If that fixes
your problem but is inadequate for your needs for some other reason,
I think you would be best off building all the FWTools components you
need yourself.

Sorry...

Best regards,