S57 Soundings Value

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sat Oct 7 01:54:13 EDT 2006

Stephane Lessard wrote:
> Sorry about the double-post... I forgot to change the subject...
>

> Hello List,
>
> I'm trying to display the S57 Soundings values on my map. Here's the output
> of ogrinfo on the SOUNDG layer of my S57 chart (the relevant part, for 1
> feature):
>
> OGRFeature(SOUNDG):140
>   RCID (Integer) = 141
>   MULTIPOINT (-72.373733104642483 46.402858362124853 9.5)
>

> I can display a SYMBOL at the appropriate coordinate, but what I need is the
> actual Z value... (9.5) Anyone can help me accomplish this? What should I
> put as a LABELITEM? Here is my layer definition:

Stephane,

Normally this would not be possible.  But it happens that others have had
a similar wish with the S57 driver before, and so there are some special
hacks (aka runtime options) that make this possible.

You can set the OGR_S57_OPTIONS variable to include
SPLIT_MULTIPOINT=ON,ADD_SOUNDG_DEPTH=ON and then the multipoints
will be split up with one feature per sounding, and a new DEPTH attribute
with the depth value.

eg.

ogrinfo --config OGR_S57_OPTIONS SPLIT_MULTIPOINT=ON,ADD_SOUNDG_DEPTH=ON -ro
GB4X0000.000 SOUNDG

In the mapfile, this can be accomplished with the CONFIG keyword at
the map level.

eg.

CONFIG "OGR_S57_OPTIONS" "SPLIT_MULTIPOINT=ON,ADD_SOUNDG_DEPTH=ON"

Best regards,