FW: simple question that the answers eludes my logic

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 10 10:26:37 EDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Dan Dansereau <ddansereau at hydropoint.com> wrote:

> Hello ALL
>
> I have a need to have a small map file ( at the bottom of this email )
>
> and a CGI driver – based on the Itasca Demo – it works for me,
>
> and do to the total amount of other processes and scripts that make
>
> use if this technique – a rewrite to another form such as PHP or JAVA
>
> is currently out of the question.
>

> I would like to have the map file get the raster image name at run time
>
> And not fixed with "Jan" like the below map file segment. I'm not sure where
>
> or how to put this in the HTML. Currently the HTML gets then names from a
>
> pre-defined pull down menu. The new names need to be similar to Jan_01_2006
>
> but can be anything legal date range.

You can set, or override, almost any map file values in the URL. It is
described briefly at the bottom of this page and in many emails in the
archives.
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/cgi/referencemanual-all-pages

But changing the layer NAME may be difficult. Why do you want to
specify the name at run time? I trust that you are trying to more than
simply turn the layer on and off?

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood