Adjusting raster images on-the-fly?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Wed Oct 11 03:07:46 EDT 2006

Hi,

We have whole a lot of colour infrared aerial (CIR) photos and users
from two different organisations. Both organisations would use the
imagery adjusted in the way they have been used to and with CIR photos
this means two totally different appearance from the same original
imagery, reddish or greenish. Because of this we have been forced to
have two separate physical image sets processed with different settings.

Now I wonder if there might be some way to do this server side with
MapServer. If we could do something similar to applying an adjustment
layer "Curves" in Photoshop before sending the image through WMS service
we would be able to save some 5 terabytes of disk space. In a similar
way it would be often good for our imagery to push it through something
like unsharp mask filter.

Has anybody done or seen something like this? I do know of new ESRI
ArcGIS Image Server but not anything else. I believe I could address one
programmer to work on this if someone could point us where to start.

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-