Counting browse hits

DjwStone D.Stone at ED.AC.UK
Wed Oct 11 10:10:59 EDT 2006

I'm developing a CGI MapServer application using MapServer 4.8.3.
The mapfile defines several layers which display symbols representing the
location of entities associated with specific people. The user interface
allows the type of entity and person to be selected. The type of entity will
determine which layer is displayed; the person chosen will be applied to the
layer by run-time substitution, and so will affect the number of points
returned in the layer.

All this works just fine.

What I need to do now is to present, along with the result map, a count of
the number of points returned. It's a useability thing - if the user has
zoomed the map in and then browsed for some entity/person combination, the
points returned quite likely lie outside the frame of the result map. So
it's handy to know if there were any hits before going to the trouble of
trying to locate them! I thought displaying [nr] was the answer, but it
always returns zero, presumably because this is happening in browse mode
rather than query.

Any clues how to proceed gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Dave