Writting a BIL in ASCII format

Trimble, Beheen btrimble at SFWMD.GOV
Fri Oct 13 08:07:40 EDT 2006

Thanks Frank.

Will follow you suggestion.

Beheen

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:warmerdam at pobox.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 4:58 PM
To: Trimble, Beheen
Cc: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Writting a BIL in ASCII format

Trimble, Beheen wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Nice to hear from you. Thanks a lot. School is hard!
>
> To answer the color question, say cell one has value 7, I want to say
> all the cells with value 7 to be colored red. If I have one to one
> mapping between the grid values and the color file, then I want to
draw
> them using arcmap or any other software that can do the job.

Beheen,

I'm just realizing this question was asked on mapserver-users, so the
application is apparently MapServer.  Generally the thing is to do the
coloring using classes in mapserver.  The Raster Access HOWTO should
talk a bit about how to do this.

Keep in mind that ascii grid format really sucks as a web mapping source
format since it is slow to read and process.  The original BIL would be
much better.  If you just want BAND 3, you can pick that in MapServer
using something like:

   PROCESSING "BANDS=3"

in your raster layer definition.

Best regards,
------
warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo,
http://osgeo.org