Python Mapscript Crashes

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 17 04:37:08 EDT 2006

Unfortunately the ability of mapscript to deal with garbage collection
is still limited.

For example: the host language (in your case, python) will free an
object because it is no longer reachable without knowing that
mapscript still has references to it.
As soon as mapscript dereferences the pointer a segfault will occur.

As of now there are some methods that are safe to use in some ways,
but I can't provide a list right now.

HTH,
Umberto