Mapserver+Windows+ArcSDE

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Tue Oct 24 11:44:23 EDT 2006

At 10:37 AM 10/24/2006, Pleyer, Walter wrote:
>Hi folks!
>
>We are trying to use mapserver on Windows in connection with ArcSDE.
>So far rather unsuccessfully, we keep getting an error message like "sde
>connection Network I/O error. (-10)"

I need more information about what you are trying to do when you get
these errors.  Are you trying to just render a layer?  Are you
attempting to do versioned queries?  Have you tried shp2img?  Which
backend database are you connecting to (SQL Server, Oracle, or
something else)? Have you turned on DEBUG output to see what is
happening?  -10 Network I/O error is SDE's
catch-everything-because-I-don't-know-what-the-problem-is error.  It
can mean lots of things, and it usually means the problem is with SDE
and not the client connecting to it.

>Does anyone have experience with this combination?
>And is mapserver for Windows with SDE support as binary available in any
>other form but the  MS4W package?
>It doesn't make things easier, if you have to take the package apart to
>isolate mapserver since we have all the other software up and running.

I have to disagree with this statement.  Your other option is to
build MapServer and all of its dependencies from scratch on your
platform of choice (Windows in your case).  The time and misery
required to do that is at least an order of magnitude larger than
peeling apart the .\bin and .\cgi-bin directories plus the SDE
libmap.dll from the MS4W package.

Howard