Shading Polygons and removing internal boundaries from shapefiles

Matt Pettis matt.pettis at THOMSON.COM
Mon Oct 30 15:13:04 EST 2006

Thanks for all of the responses -- this helps quite a bit.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu] On
Behalf Of Stephen Woodbridge
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 7:16 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Shading Polygons and removing
internal boundaries from shapefiles

Thematic mapping is best done using postgis. You can do multiple tables
joins and thematic rendering very easily and efficiently. You can do
some basic stuff with ogr, but I would strongly recommend that you look
at postgis. The nice thing about mapserver is that you only need to load
just the polygons and the attributes needed for the thematic mapping and
all the rest of the data can stay in shapefiles.

-Steve