WFS GetCapabilities 1.0.0 not valid

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Tue Sep 5 15:08:46 EDT 2006

> using version 4.10 beta2, the WFS GetCapabilities (1.0.0
> version) response is not valid.
>
> Problems:
>
> 1) <SFE_XMLSCHEMA/> is not known in the 1.0.0 schema so
> should be omitted
>       <SchemaDescriptionLanguage>
>         <XMLSCHEMA/>
>         <SFE_XMLSCHEMA/>
>       </SchemaDescriptionLanguage>
>
> 2) GML3 in not allowed as result format
>
>       <ResultFormat>
>         <GML2/>
>         <GML3/>
>       </ResultFormat>

Because we added GML3L0 as a format, we added these formats for
Capabilities to differentiate btw GML2 and GML3.  However, OGC:WFS 1.0.0
is hardcoded.  The WFS 1.0.0 specs only define XMLSCHEMA as a
description language for DescribeFeatureType, as well as only GML2 for
GetFeature.

So we're in a bit of a quandry, because we support WFS 1.0.0, GML2 AND
GML3L0.  But GML3L0 is only legal in WFS 1.0.0 (which uses OWS Common
1.0.0, which abstracts constructs like outputformats [soft typing] as
opposed to defining hardcoded element names for same).

If we want to be compliant to OGC:WFS 1.0.0, which must remove the GML3
refs in Capabilities.  They can still be around in the interface, just
not advertise as such in Capabilities XML so as not to break the schema.

Comments?

..Tom